Mrauk-U is the last capital of Rakhine Kings. It was founded in 1430 AD by king Min Saw Mon and lasted till 1748 AD. The last Rakine King Maha Thamada Raja and the “Great Image” (Mahamuni) was taken to Amarapura, the capital of Burma after the comquest.
Sittwe lies close to the mouth of the Kaladan River, empties into the Bay of Bengal. It was founded by the British in 1826 after tje “First Anglo-Burmese War”. The British called Sittwe (pronounced “Site-Tway” in Rkhine) “Akyab” after tje three relic pagodas known as A Kyat Taw Cetis.